Rates and hours
It is for LSCS trainees and families to negotiate the terms for each placement. Many of our trainees are flexible with fees, which are typically at a considerably lower rate than fully qualified and experienced practising practitioners. However, LSCS recommends the following suggested terms regarding rates:
- Maternity Nurse: not less than £70 over a 24 hour period.
- Night Nanny: not less than £40 per night for night.
- Sleep Consultant: not less than £55 for an overnight sleep trainer over a 24 hour period, and £40 for verbal and/or written guidance that doesn’t include an overnight stay.
- Day Nannies (live-in and live-out): not less than the minimum wage for longer term positions.
Whilst we do recommend that trainee work experience placements are paid, there is no obligation to do so, especially if the trainee has minimal experience. However, as a minimum, all expenses (such as travel and food) will need to be paid for. We do advise that students who take on unpaid roles should work at this rate for no more than 20 hours.
Should you wish to end a placement with a student earlier than the date agreed upon between yourself and the student, you will need to give a minimum of two weeks notice or pay a fee of £50 for early cancellation. By completing the registration form you confirm that you have read and understand these terms.
Feedback and references
Whether a role is paid or unpaid, it is important that all work experiences placements provide trainees with the opportunity to demonstrate a range of skills and learning objectives that they can add to their CV. In addition, we ask all families to provide ongoing feedback to trainees throughout the placement. We also ask that parents allow students to practise ‘teaching’ them, even if confident in all areas, so that students can develop their own skills for future families. Families will also need to provide references upon completion of placements.
- Register your vacancy. Get in touch with one of our professional LSCS Consultants who will discuss your requirements and determine the best type of vacancy to advertise.
- Select and interview candidates. We will send you profiles of available trainees who best match your requirements. You can then interview any candidates you are interested in, preferably in person, but this can also be conducted via video or telephone, if necessary.
- Confirm rates and hours. See the ‘Recommended Terms’ section above.
- Create a Work Agreement. We strongly recommend having a written agreement in place, even if the placement is unpaid. Your chosen candidate will provide you with a work contract for their services which needs to be signed prior to the placement commencing.
- Provide Feedback and References. See the ‘feedback and references’ section above.
If you would be interested in securing a trainee from the LSCS Work Experience Programme, please fill in this form:
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY
Here are what our students have said about their experiences on our courses